Nutrition is the science, that interprets the interaction of nutrients and other substances in food,in relation to maintenance,growth,reproduction, health and disease of an organism.it also includes food intake, absorption, assimilation, biosynthesis, catabolism and excretion.
Consuming a healthy diet through the life course helps prevent malnutrition in all its from as well as range of communicable diseases and conditions. But the increased production of processed food,rapid urbanization and changing lifestyles have led to a shift in dietary patterns.people are now consuming more foods high in energy,fats, free sugars or salt\sodium,and many do not eat enough fruit,vegetables and dietaryfibre such as whole grains.the exact make up of a diversified,balanced and healthy diet will very depending o Nutrition
n individual needs.[eg,age,gender,lifestyle,degree of physical activity.
For adults a healthy diet contains
- Fruits,vegetables, legumes[eg,lentils,beans],nuts,and whole grains[eg,unprocessed maize,millet,oats,wheat,brown rice].
- At least 400g[5 p0rtions] of fruits and vegetable aday ,no that potatoes,cassava and other starchy roots are not classified as fruit and vegetables.
- Less than 10% of total energy intake from free sugars[2,5]which is equivalent 50g or around 12 level tea spoons for a person of healthy body weight consuming approximately 2000 calories per day,but ideally less than 5% of total energy intake for additional healthy benefits.
- Less than 5% of salt is equivalent to approximately 1 tea spoon per day and use iodized salt.
For infants and young children
In the first 2years of a childs life optimal nutrition fasters healthy growth and improves congnitive development.it also reduces the risk of becomingover weight or obese and developing NCDs later in life.
ADVICE FOR INFANTS
- Infants should be breastfed exclusively during the first 6 month of life
- infants should be breastfed continuously until 2 years of age and beyond
- from 6 months of age breastmilk should be complemented with a variety of adequate safe and nutritient dense complementary foods.salt and sugars should not be added to complemeniary foods.